Thursday, October 8, 2009

Penta Pests

The last several days leaves on my red Penta have been chomped in half. I immediately thought worms, but didn't see any. After some research online, I still wasn't sure what would be eating my Penta.

Side note: In my online search, I did learn about a recent "discovery" in Texas: Flea Beatles have been found eating rose bush leaves in the Dallas area. Roses aren't typically invaded by these guys.

This afternoon while leaving the apartment, I looked at my plant on the front porch like I always do. Aside from my Penta drooping from the lack of water, many more leaves had been chomped in half! Suddenly, I saw eyes staring back at me!


What are these crazy caterpillars?! They're called Tersa Sphinx Moth Caterpillars. Apparently they LOOOVE Pentas. I pulled 5 of them off with chopsticks (a little scared to touch them with my hands).

Notice the eaten leaves and fat guys hiding?

1 comment:

  1. yes, these varmints destroyed one nice looking penta plant. My dachshund alerted me to one caterpillar and then we discovered 9 more. She's still sniffing and hopefully will alert me to more! First time ever seeing these caterpillars on my pentas.

    ReplyDelete